Here’s a list of 15 interesting facts about Mahendra Singh Dhoni which many of us haven’t come across.
1. The wicketkeeper batsman made his ODI debut against Bangladesh in 2004, and was run out on the first ball.
2. According to Forbes, MS Dhoni’s net worth is $30 million, which exceeds Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar’s net worth.
3. Dhoni is the only Indian captain to have led his team to victory in all three major ICC tournaments: the Twenty-20 World Cup (2007), 50 Over World Cup (2011) and the Champion’s Trophy (2013)
4.In 2007, it was Sachin Tendulkar who recommended MS Dhoni’s name for India’s skipper, given Dhoni’s calm nature and friendly equation with the rest of the team.
5. Dhoni was conferred with the honorary rank of Lt Colonel by the Indian Territorial Army in November 2011.
6.Dhoni is the only player to win the ICC Player of the Year award, twice.
7.In 2012, SportsPro rated Dhoni as the sixteenth most marketable athlete in the world.
8.Dhoni played as a goalkeeper for his school’s football team, and also dabbled with badminton.
9. Dhoni was contracted by the Chennai Super Kings for 1.5 Million USD. This made him the most expensive player in the IPL for the first season auctions.
10. Dhoni is the only captain in the ODIs to score a century while batting at number 7. He did it against Pakistan in December 2012.
11.Only Shahrukh Khan has more brand endorsements than Dhoni in his kitty.
12. Dhoni was employed as a Train Ticket Examiner (TTE) at Kharagpur Railway Station from 2001 to 2003.
13. Dhoni’s wife, Sakshi Dhoni, is known to carry electrical cookers along every time she accompanies her husband on cricket tours.
14. Dhoni is a very big fan of Racing Bikes.He has 23 of them,and counting!
15. Dhoni is India’s most successful cricket captain, having led India to 27 test victories and a whopping 163 one-day victories. His win percentage is also unparalleled: 45% in tests and 61% in one-day internationals!