Premier League week 29 another exciting week for Premier League fans, as West Bromwich Albion shocked Manchester United and Liverpool completed a comeback win over Crystal Palace. Here we have 5 points from the EPL weekend.
5) Aguero brace sinks Villa– Sergio Aguero was at his devastating best as Manchester City beat Aston Villa 4-0 to move within 2 points of Arsenal with a game in hand. Manuel Pellegrini’s boys made short work of their opponents, a team which is destined to be relegated this season after their 19th loss of the season. Also City ended a three game streak of losing in the league. Pellegrini thinks his side’s experience will help them stay in the race and any slip-up from the other contenders will be a boost for his team. Surely one just can’t rule the mastermind out.
4) Hiddink sets new record in the Premier League- He has settled the ship at Chelsea and in the meanwhile has set a new record of being unbeaten in his first 12 league games. The Dutchman inherited the job from sacked manager Mourinho after Chelsea were battling relegation and has since won five and drawn seven matches to take Chelsea to the 10th spot in the table. Against Stoke, Bertrand Traore scored to give the team a 1-0 lead however Stoke equalised injury time to cement their place for a Europa League spot.
3) Alexis Sanchez dent a blow to Tottenham’s high hopes- In what was billed as the most exciting London Derby ever, Arsenal took an unexpected lead via Aaron Ramsey’s back heel flick and raised high hopes leading to the second half. However Francis Coquelin got sent off for rash challenge and the momentum shifted in Tottenham’s favour there on. Spurs threatened to run amuck with 2 goals in a few minutes and attacking with full intent. Out of form Sanchez however proved to be the thorn and scored a beautiful goal from a tight angle to even the scores and the teams had to share the spoils.
2) Manchester United lose whereas Liverpool end a 19 year old wait- United lost yet again after Juan Mata’s red card after committing two rash fouls in 3 minutes and ending the club’s good run in recent weeks. Tony Pulis lead West Brom thus left Old Trafford with three points to halt United’s run for a Champions League spot.
Liverpool meanwhile ended a jinx after finally managing to beat Crystal Palace and ending a 19 year old wait. Joe Ledley got his team the deserved lead in the 48th minute and James Milner got sent off piling further misery on the Kops. However Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke scored to ensure a Liverpool win.
1) Everybody’s loss is Leicester’s gain- With the Foxes winning 1-0 against Watford, Ranieri’s men ensured another three points in their kitty at a time when the other title rivals continued dropping points. And their quest for an elusive silverware received a major boost as a superb Riyad Mahrez strike made all the difference and cushioned out a 5 point lead at the top. This surely has been an outstanding year for English football. Riyad Mahrez is sure to win the player of the season award at the current rate.
Latest posts by Abhishek Das (see all)
- MESSI COMES TO RESCUE AGAIN FOR BARCELONA - February 21, 2017
- Vidal injury mars Barça celebration over Alaves win - February 13, 2017
- Real Madrid retain top spot in La Liga - February 13, 2017