The Copa América Centenario, referred to in English as the 2016 Centennial Copa America, is a international men’s association football tournament due to be held in the United States in 2016.The competition is a celebration of the centenary of CONMEBOL and the Copa América, and is to be the first Copa América hosted outside of South America. This Tournament is a special edition of Copa América held to celebrate 100 years of copa América, which started in 1916 and is the oldest men international continental tournament. This will be the 45th edition of the tournament, with the last one held last year at Chile, where the host nation Chile won the tournament beating favorites Argentina in the final via a Penalty Shootout.
The new competition also bring some changes to the tournament, this time around there will be 16 teams participating with 10 being from CONMEBOL and six teams from CONCACAF. However the winner of this competition would not be given a place in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup. A new special trophy has been made for this tournament and is supposed to be unveiled soon.
Let’s have a look at the venue’s Holding the matches.
- CenturyLink Field (Seattle, WA) – Capacity: 67000.
- Soldier Field(Chicago, IL)-Capacity: 63500.
- Gillette Stadium(Boston)-Capacity: 68,756.
- MetLife Stadium((New York City)- Capacity: 82,566.
- Levi’s Stadium(Santa Clara, CA)- Capacity:68,500.
- Lincoln Financial Field(Philadelphia, PA)- Capacity: 69,176.
- Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA)- Capacity: 92,542.
- University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, AZ)- Capacity : 63,400.
- NRG Stadium(Houston, TX) – Capacity: 71,795.
- Citrus Bowl(Orlando)- Capacity: 60,129.
Lets have a look at the teams participating in the Tournament.
And this is how the teams are grouped .
Group A – United States,Colombia ,Costa Rica,Paraguay.
Group B – Brazil,Haiti,Peru,Ecuador.
You can find the complete Schedule of the matches here.